PrepCom III made a number of concrete
advances during its three-week session. These include the
- A shift from family planning to reproductive health;
- Population is placed in the overall development context;
- The chapter on empowerment of women (Chapter IV) is much stronger than anyone had ever expected, in fact it is considerably stronger than any of the draft language for the Beijing Conference on Women;
- The text contains reference to unsustainable patterns of production and consumption; and
- The text recognizes indigenous peoples' special needs and rights.